Tuesday, May 22, 2007

101 beds

bed count: 101

So - I finally made it. Bed 100 was a comfortable double in the Glebe YHA in Sydney. A really nice hostel with really comfy beds. Having since moved rooms I am hoping that bed 102 will be in our Sydney apartment... But I am not telling you anymore about that until the lease is agreed as I don't want to jinx it.

So, I have surprised myself by quite liking Sydney. I don't know what exactly it is. Maybe it's the close proximity to the water. Maybe it's all that Victorian architecture. Maybe it's the weather. It's kind of like Glasgow in summer. Even though it's the equivalent of November here at the moment, it's lovely and warm. Though we're having a 'cold' day today - it's 17 degrees...

So it looks like we'll be hanging around Sydney for a while anyway. After nearly 15 months on the road it's time to be in one place for a bit and do normal stuff. Like go to the cinema, go to work, have dinner with friends. Okay - we could have come home and done all that, but I don't think either of us are ready to come home just yet. Not that we don't miss you guys!

My CV (sorry - 'resume') is out there doing the circuits at the moment and, after my meeting with some recruitment agencies I am currently being 'actively marketed'. Not sure I have ever been 'actively marketed' before. Makes me feel kind of special!

As well as catching up with Susan and Paul it's been great to see fellow OpenInk editor Allan and his partner Irene who have been out here for a few years now. In a bizarre twist, one of the jobs I have applied for is in the same department Allan works in at the university. We discussed opening up an Oz branch of OpenInk, but I think we'd had quite a few beers when that idea was mooted, and I am not sure Oz is ready for that yet!

So yes - as well as putting in the leg work looking for a job and a place to live I have managed to see a few things. Alec and I went out on the ferry the other weekend and had a picnic in the park on Sunday. Glebe and Newtown are full of great little shops and Glebe market sells everything under the sun on a Saturday. So, I am finding plenty to keep me occupied. Hence the lack of posts in the last wee while. I am sure you understand.

No comments: