'NSW Colder than Antarctic' shocker!
Yes - that was the classic headline on the way into work today. And, to be fair, I have heard that there has been snow at high levels and a couple of really outlying places have been down to about -4.
But Sydney-siders (like most big-city folk?) believe their own hype and there have been so many conversations in the office about the respective temperatures where people live. In Alec's office they are even getting down to decimal points in their temperature scales ('ooo - it was 0.6 degrees this morning!'). Does temperature come in decimal points??? (I think it's more likely that they misheard the weather forcaster when he said '6 degrees'). I mean come on now - they're more obsessed about the cold than the Brits are about rain!
(Right on cue - someone just behind me has said 'It's sooooo cold'. I am sitting here in my short-sleved top).
I've had a lot of stick the last few weeks as it has got 'colder'. People can't quite believe that I can walk to work in a shirt and jumper when they're 'rugged up' fully in their coats, hats and gloves. We're still sleeping with the window open and had to have the air-con on a couple of weeks ago because it was pretty warm.
Yesterday was Sydney's coldest July day in 2 decades - and don't I know it! These Sydney-siders love drama. Just like in the UK where a transport strike in London makes national news headlines, but something similar in the 'regions' gets relagated to local news, Sydney has to see itself at the heart of everything.
Which is probably what makes it such a great city to live in. It's so self-absorbed!
Anyhow - I guess I will have to watch what I say for now since, knowing what I am like in the heat, I don't think I'm going to cope half so well in summer...
No comments:
Post a Comment