Saturday, April 05, 2008

2 years on the road

bed count: 136

So today is the second anniversary of being on the road, and where better to spend it than in Alice Springs with my new travel buddies. It really doesn't feel like I have been away 2 years. Maybe I am just so used to it now. Is it weird when sleeping in 136 beds in 2 years feels normal?


Well, since I last blogged I have had the best Aussie experience so far, and one of the best times of my travels altogether. Luckily I was over the worst of the cold in time for the 6.30am start to my 18-day mega-trip down through the centre of Oz and I spent 3 fantastic days in Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks with one of the best guides ever and the best bunch of travellers you could hope to share a trip with (though - of course, it would have been an even more out-of-this-world experience if you were here Matt and Trace!).


We had such good fun, hiking and then cooling off in plunge pools beneath beautiful waterfalls; spotting dingos, wallabies (one with a joey in it's pouch - ahh so cute!), lizards, wild pigs, wild horses, crocs, a dead snake (phew!) and loads more; learning about the Aboriginal culture and looking at ancient rock art; and camping out in the bush listening to the sound of howling dingos as we drifted off to sleep. It was all so fantastic that the early starts (5.30 am when it was still dark) were a breeze.


Sadly our fabulous guide, Rick, was only with us for the first 3 days of the tour and we had a bit of a crap guide for the second leg of the journey, which was also through a long, hot stretch of country. But still, Aoife, Irene, Wendela and Tristan kept me (almost) sane through the heat and the pathetic air conditioning and there were a few small bonuses along the way. Like sleeping out in swags under the stars for the first time, visiting the Devil's Marbles and crossing the Tropic of Capricorn.


Now in Alice for a few days break before heading on down to Uluru (more sleeping out in swags - cool!!!) and it's just nice to be hanging out here for a few days.


But anyway - here's to 2 years on the road. I wonder where I will be this time next year...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations mate! We're so proud of you and as once fellow travellers know it's not always easy and we were worn out after only 1 year. You've really taken it in your stride though and made the most of every experience. As Matt said 'Good on you old bugger!' ; )

Thank you - you nearly brought a tear to my eye (far too hard for that kind of namby pamby nonsense as you know). We would love more than anything to be there with you now - sounds amazing!. The centre was by far our best experience of Oz - the sweltering heat and swarms of flys were definitely
worth it. And Uluru is just so magical, I know you of all peoople will appreciate it.

So glad to hear you're enjoying it mate - you deserve it.

And if you get to meet up with 'Bushtucker Jimmy' on your way down tell him we said hi! (he's crazy!)

Take care and lots of love! xxxxx

K said...

Aw shucks - you know hw much I like making you guys blub... :) Kxx