Saturday, May 03, 2008

Back in Sydney

So - ten weeks after I had packed my bags and headed to Tassie my bus rolled back into Sydney. It felt a bit weird coming back. Partly because I recognised places and knew people in the city (and, in fact, bumped into someone I knew as I stepped off the bus) but also because I knew that this was the beginning of the end for my trip to Oz. All of a sudden I was overwhelmed with all the crap I had to sort out before my mum arrived.

Somehow, everything got sorted and I managed to spend time with my Sydney buddies, including my wee mate Corbin who is so small he's only just starting on solids. It was so lovely to see everyone again. It feels kind of surreal that I am leaving the country tomorrow.

So off I went to the airport on Thursday morning to see my mum for the first time in 2 years. It's been really good to see her and show her round Sydney the last few days, though it's been pretty knackering trying to fit everything in. I'm used to a much more leisurely pace of travel. I don't know how you guys who only have a couple of weeks to see everything fit it all in!

But still - I know the important things to do in Sydney - fruit frappes at Well Connected, drinks at the Opera Bar, chips on the esplanade at Manly, smoothies from Boost Juice.... We even managed Thai, African and my mum's first sushi experience. All pretty cool.

Oh - and there was some opera thing and a big bridge and boat on a big bit of water....

And so it's back to New Zealand. Strange where you end up isn't it. This time last year I could never imagined being in the place I am now. But here I am - with so many new friends and so many amazing experiences. Now I couldn't imagine it any other way.

No comments: