Out and about
bed count: 35
Haven't written for a while, but we have managed to be up to a few things other than work. Hence the increased bed count.
We have been out and about the last few weekends, with a trip up the Kauri coast which had some lovely beaches. Still can't get used to the black / grey / brown sand though. Still looks like estuary mud to me...
We went over to Waiheke at the weekend. Waiheke is an island just 40 mins ferry ride from Auckland city centre. Such an easy trip that we had been planning on doing it almost every weekend since we got here. Well - better late than never.
Saturday was such a gorgeous, sunny day and the ferry journey included great views of Auckland city centre and Rangitoto island. For an island of 8,000 people (increasing to 30,000 in the summer!!) I think I had imagined a ferry port like Port Ellen or Brodick but instead we docked in a sleepy little cove with ferry terminal and a few car hire places.
We went on a short island tour which covered most of the west part of the island, the east being much more sparsely populated, and ended up sunbathing on the beautiful beach at Onetangi (pron, On-e-Tang-e). Proper coloured sand and everything! There were a few families about playing frisbee, making sandcastles and even swimming. You guys in the UK aren't the only ones having a heat wave - remember it's supposed to be February-like here!
Hopped on a few more buses and saw a bit more of the island, including a walk along another gorgeous beach at the main town of Oneroa (pron On-e-row-a). It was in Oneroa that I finally found butter beans (aka Lima beans) after 6 weeks of searching in NZ! Now I just need to find decent chicken stock so I can make butterbean and rosemary soup before the winter is out.
Seems like we used up all the weekend's sunshine on the Saturday as Sunday was very overcast. The island was still very beautiful though, with loads of gorgeous houses. I don't think I would like it half as much in summer. I really can't see where those 30,000 all go!
Heading back on the ferry the bay was filled with sailing boats - Auckland ain't called 'the city of sails' for nothing. I reckon there were close on 100 out there playing a game of dodge the ferry. Docked back in Auckland was the largest ship I have ever seen - a massive cruise liner which dwarfed the Hilton Hotel it was docked next to.
Have posted a few more pics of recent trips to our Auckland - out and about set on Flickr for anyone interested. Don't feel you have to though.
Work is still ongoing and I am looking forward to getting out of the 8.30 to 5 routine. However, there are interesting moments like last week's Haka and Hangi at lunch time to celebrate Maori language week. The Haka is a type of Maori war dance / chant that many of you will be familiar with from watching the All Blacks. A Hangi is a Maori feast where food is cooked in an earth oven.
As well as going away at weekends we're trying to make the rest of the week interesting by doing things like going swimming in the evenings. Swimming is 'in' in NZ and for the princely sum of $6.50 (about 2 quid) you can use the pool, steam room, sauna, and the two large, well heated spa pools. Such a good deal that everybody seems to use it and Thursday night was busy with families, groups of friends and couples all hanging out in the spa the way we probably would do at Pizza Hut in the UK.
Obscure NZ fact of the day - the little green men at pedestrian crossings here face left - the opposite direction from the ones in the UK.
No comments:
Post a Comment