The world today
We heard the news about the latest security situation in the UK just as we were going to bed on Thursday night. We're probably not getting as much coverage of it on the news as we would in the UK, but it's still pretty big stuff over here, as you can imagine. Wherever you are I think it's a diffcult situation to get a handle on. I guess the predominant feeling is 'what is the world coming to?'.
I think two comments on the situation really struck me though. One was the well worn-out 'they let all these immigrants into the UK and then this is how they act' argument. I guess it just sounded even more stupid than usual coming from and European Kiwi. Umm - I think you'll find your family were immigrants once. Shall I just include you in any sweeping, derogatory statements about immigrants then?
The second was a soundbite on the news. A young British guy, quite angry about the coverage of the arrest of 'Muslim' terrorists. 'Why not London terrorists?'. 'What about the IRA - you didn't call them Christian Terrorists'.
He has a point. As the condemnation of this kind of behaviour from the Muslim community at large attests, these people do not represent Muslims. Muslims everywhere are angered at the way a small group of evil individuals have hijacked their religion. They are saying, quite clearly, 'not in my name'.
Reports are that those who were arrested have 'muslim names' (to quote one paper). But the same reports also indicate that (at least) the majority of those arrested in the UK were British. So - why 'Muslim Terrorists'? Why not 'British Terroists'? Maybe that's a bit close to the bone for some people, but it's the truth all the same.
Whether we like it or not, these people come from within our own communities. Pigeon-holing them (correctly or incorrectly) as 'Muslim' or 'immigrants' is not only a dangerous injustice against Muslims and immigrants everywhere, but it also means that we can conveniently ignore the fact that they are British.
I imagine that sadly, inevitably, Muslim and immigrant communities across the UK will feel repercussions from this latest situation, just as they did after previous attacks. I imagine that innocent people will be discriminated against and attacked. Violent, biggoted people come in all forms - whether they end up planning mass murder or attacking someone in the street just because of their skin colour, they are the same in my book.
So - sorry if this is a little more political than usual. But I just needed to say it.
Not in my name.
No comments:
Post a Comment