The windy city
Well, we now know why Wellington is the windy city. Boy, does it deserve it's reputation. Especially when those southerlies blow. It was pretty blowy when we first arrived, but it's full on, high-speed wind tunnel stuff here today.
Been in Plimmerton for a few days now, which is slightly more sheltered than Wellington, but only slightly. We're working at Moana Lodge, which is a lovely hostel right on the waterfront with great sunset views. Apparently Peter Jackson once rented out the hostel for his whole family.
Those of you without much recent experience of hostels may have the impression of creaky dorm bunks, itchy matresses and kitchens that have seen better days. I guess there are probably still some of those around, but I can't see them doing business much longer. We've stayed in some great hostels on our travels and Moana Lodge is possibly the best. A really well equipped kitchen, amongst other things, meaning that I can bake cakes!
Anyway - done some side trips since we have been here. Went to Paekakariki (pron, Pie-cock-a-reek-ee) to admire the beach and to the famous Chocolate Fish Cafe just outside Wellington. It was apparently a favourite with the cast of Lord of the Rings (the studio was just down the road). Very nice, but I feel a bit short changed that I didn't see a Hobbit...
We also drove round that bit of the coast and were gobsmacked by the waves. They were huge. Huge breakers in Breaker Bay (hmm - wonder why it's called that) with waves breaking over over one of the jetties and the spray going about 30 feet in the air.
It was a pretty cool sight. That was until we saw the ferries out in the Straits and realised that we're supposed to do this crossing on 6th January. Ouch!
So, tonight we're sying a fond farewell to 2006 with a shared meal at the hostel, followed by a few drinks, I would imagine. This time last year we didn't have a clue where we'd end up, but I'm pretty happy with starting 2007 in Plimmerton.
Happy New Year all. Kxx
No comments:
Post a Comment