Spring weather
So - no pics yet as I have lost my camera lead.... will sort it shortly though.
Last weekend was a scorcher with temperatures of 35 degrees, which was great for the bank holiday weekend. After a busy few weeks I took the opportunity to chill out for a while and wander round Glebe Market in the sunshine eating tasty chicken tikka and roti.
On the holiday Monday we headed up to Coogee beach (just along from Bondi) for a few hours to make the most of the sunny weather, and I even managed to take a 'refreshing' dip in the sea.
Now, it's not really the sun that's been heating things up here this last week. I'm used to sunny days and 25 degree heat. Bizarrely, it's the wind that effects the temperatures a lot here. And boy - can Sydney get windy. Apparently this is normal Sydney spring weather.
So - wind from the south tends to bring in cold air, as you would imagine since the next thing south is Antarctica. But what's been heating things up recently is the NW winds, which bring in the heat from the deserts. And that NW wind can make 10 degrees difference. One day it's 35 degrees, the next it's 25 degrees which, bizarrely, felt a little cold at times...
But it can change even quicker - I walked up to Newtown this morning in 35 degree heat and, whilst I was sitting in a cafe eating lunch, the wind swung round (bringing various shop boards and hawkers wares flying down the road) and it was back to about 22 degrees when I stepped back on the pavement.
Not sure I will get used to this place...
No comments:
Post a Comment