Friday, June 23, 2006

How great is NZ!!!

bed count: 32

I know, I know. You have been in suspense about whether we actually made it to Auckland or not, but we have been so busy sorting out tax numbers, PO boxes, opening a bank account, flat hunting, job hunting and generally jumping up and down and shouting 'Yey! We're in New Zealand!' that I have kinda neglected the blog.

Anyway - I'm here now and would like to with a belated Happy Birthday to Lesley for the 20th June and Christopher for the 21st. Hope you both had a good birthday.

Thanks to all of you who sent lovely emails and joined in with our excitement about landing in NZ. I promise I will reply to you all individually when things calm down a bit.

So, NZ is very cool - in both senses of the word. We're getting used to a drop in temperatures, but it's not really helping that Auckland is apparently experiencing it's coldest weather in a long while. Before we got here we read about the awful weather in the south island with snow storms and lengthy powercuts. Yesterday the snow hit the north island quite dramatically, though it's yet to reach this far north. Snow in June - still can't get my head round it!

Anyway. Staying at Auckland International Backpackers in Parnell, which is just outside the city centre in an area reminiscent of Glagow's West End. The backpackers itself is comfy enough with a really good kitchen complete with cold room (walk-in fridge) which is what attracted us to it in the first place. Been cooking already and it feels good to be eating semi-properly again.

The only thing is that, despite the cold weather, the kiwis seem to love their fresh air. I have shut several windows in the backpackers which were letting in an icy gale. I think they're left open for the cats to come in and out, but since I reckon we are paying more for our room than the cats I'm not feeling bad about it. I mean - how much would it cost to invest in a damned cat flap!?

(And to those of you who are scoffing that you're enjoying summer when we have landed up in winter we'll be sure to remind you of how sunny NZ gets when our summer arrives down here).

Anyhow. Having fun exploring the city. The people of Auckland are so nice. Such good customer service everywhere so far. And it's so cheap! Okay - I know NZ dollar is weak, but even within the economy itself things like eating out are much better value for money. You pay $3.95 (c. 1.30 GBP) to sit in and eat a really big bagel stuffed with filling here whereas you'd be pushed to get that for 4 quid in the UK.

Anyhow. I could go on, but I think that's enough for now. We have another flat to view later and spag bol to cook, so I will write more in the next few days.

Kxx

2 comments:

Kelvin said...

Kia Ora (Hello) Are you sure you are in Auckland? Cheap prices ? Nice people? (Hehe) I was surfing the blog world when yourblog popped up so I had to say hello and say welcome to NZ !!!

K said...

Hey Kelvin - you might not think it's cheap, but would you pay $12 for a bagel? That's good old UK prices for you...