Oz in general
There are lots of things about Oz that I have been trying articulate in my blog for ages, but they're difficult to explain so they get written about over and over but have never made it to the final version. I love the place, I really do. I get caught up in loving being here and then something happens to remind me of the strange undercurrents that run through society here.
There was a lot of press the other day when Aussie Darren Hayes got arrested for allegedly making racist remarks to a member of staff in a Thai restaurant in London. A lot of the social comment on it was amazement at the fact someone could get arrested for making racist comments. As one presenter put it 'How can you get arrested for making racist comments? And in a Thai restaurant!'.
You see - racism is still quite strong in this country. And I am not saying we're perfect in the UK. But, as I say, there is a strange undercurrent here that lets it seep into all sorts of areas where we just wouldn't it accept it back home. You regularly hear phrases here that just aren't acceptable in the UK any more.
I watched 'This is England' the other night and some of the derogatory phrases used there are ones I hear regularly in general society here. From 'normal' people. (Though - I have to say - I am very lucky that the people I work with and most of my new frineds aren't like this).
And it isn't about being PC. Because it's not just about the words people use. It's about they way society here views various groups of people. Like if you work in a Thai restaurant you should just expect to be insulted. That's your place in society.
And it does effect other areas of society here too. Maternity and paternity support is lacking - sure you get $5000 if you have a baby, but that seems to make it okay that maternity leave and other support is crap. Let's just buy people off. And let's not even get started on the rights of same-sex couples. There is still a very long way to go there.
And then - there is the lack of respect of Aboriginal culture. Which is just so strange to experience after coming over from NZ and seeing how revered Maori culture is there. I am not saying any country has it 100 per cent right. But there seems to be such a lot of underlying anger and disrespect here. Something not at all right.
What possibly makes it more bizarre is that I live in Sydney - which has one of the most diverse populations you will come across. And still these undercurrents exist.
People keep asking me if I would stay in Oz. It's a fantastic, vibrant country. With loads of opportunities and benefits. Such rich culture. But right now the negative undercurrents outweigh all of those positives. And it is a real shame.
No comments:
Post a Comment