Baths and toilets
bed count: 40
So, we have been house and dog sitting for the weekend whilst Jo and Jason were away in Auckland celebrating Jo's birthday. Happy Birthday Jo!
It's been handy having more space (including a big kitchen) whilst Max, Trace and Matt were here, but the main bonuses have included having a dog for the weekend and having access to a bath. Make the obvious jokes if you like, but I had my first bath in over 6 months yesterday, with a chilled glass of white wine and BBC radio programmes (via the laptop) for company. I think it was deserved after a long day spent cleaning.
Day out to Kawakawa and Hokianga
We had a day out last week and headed up to see the toilets in Kawakawa. Bit of a strange tourist desination you might think, but these are the famous Hundertwasser toilets nin Kawakawa, designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser.
Amongst other things Hundertwasser avoided using straight lines and believed in recycling and reusing materials as much as possible, providing some very interesting and beautiful results. They're certainly the most interesting public toilest I've ever been to (and the only ones ton incorporate gin bottles into the design).
From Kawakawa we headed up to Hokianga tio see the very beautiful harbour (more giant sand dunes) and the largest Kauri trees in the world. The tree's were big, granted, but I think I was expecting something bigger. Maybe it would have been more impressive if we'd been able to get closer, but the root systems of Kauri are quite close to the surface and the DOC keeps you back to protect the trees, which is understandable.
Good day out all in all though, and we've pretty much covered northland's main routes now.
No comments:
Post a Comment