The Slaughter House
bed count: 69
Well, the Old Slaughterhouse hostel was beautiful and well worth the 10 minute uphill walk from the car park (though thankfully the hostel owner picked up our packs on his quad bike).
The weather wasn't great, but we still managed to see some gorgeous sunsets and I took a 3 hour walk down Charming Creek Walkway. The walkway follows a disused railway track which was used to carry coal down from the hills where it was being mined. It is now eerily deserted, the way in which only once industrious place can be.
The sky was pretty leaden on the walk and the overhanging bush added to a general feeling of claustrophobia. I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it, except for the fact that I had to walk through a number of dark tunnels. I did pretty well until I reached the one where you couldn't see the other end of the tunnel from the start. Interesting...
We were heading to Hamner Springs from Hector, having found no hostel in need of cleaners for the short space of time befor we need to be in Christchurch. However, on the way we stopped at a hostel we've been offered work at later on in the year and found out that they needed cleaners for a few days in return for bed and food, which fitted nicely.
The hostel is in a beautiful location, with massive rolling breakers on the beach outside the front door. However, it's not the best hostel we have ever been to. The place needs a bit if TLC generally and I won't even tell you what I had to clean up in one of the showers this morning... Ahh the joys of cleaning! It's so much easier to clean places which have been well cared for.
So anyway, we're here for the next few days and then heading off east. Looking forward to seeing Fiona in Christchurch and then Alec's mum and dad!
New pics of our recent adventures (including kayaking, glass fusion and rude signposts) are available in the Nelson, Golden Bay, Motueka set in Flickr. Enjoy
1 comment:
Hey guys! Thanks an awesome few days in Mot- it was great to see you again and hopefully we can catch up soon again :) Take care and get well soon K Love M&T xxx
Post a Comment