Friday, January 05, 2007

Year: 2007 / Beds: 56

bed count: 56 (Increased bed count due to testing out various beds at Moana Lodge).

Well, I don't really have a good excuse for not blogging more since we got here, or not replying to many emails. It's been a pretty relaxed time here, even with the work, and I am afraid I have just been chilling out.

We've stayed on at Moana Lodge for a few extra days work. We originally had a few days between finishing here and taking the ferry to the S Island and were going to stay in Wellington. Our experience of Wellington hostels hasn't been great though, so we were more than happy to stay on here for a few days and take the very pretty 30 min train ride into Wellington instead.

New year here was quiet, but good. The shared meal was nice and I got plenty of compliments for my banoffi pie. Alec and I did some cleaning on the morning of the 1st but then had a lazy day with a roast dinner and a walk along the beach to celebrate 'real' new year in the UK.

It was weird actually - it felt more like Christmas day than Christmas day did. Possibly due to the Christmas decorations in the hostel and the gale blowing outside. It was nice though.

Talking of weather - NZ has had the coldest December since records began. Our timing is perfect, as usual! But the weather yesterday and today has improved considerably, even feeling like summer at times. The wind has died down and our fingers are crossed for a smooth crossing in the morning.

So - we went up to Wellington a few more times. Lovely city. Lots of care taken over new developments and outdoor areas. Lots of really good public art. It makes so much of a difference.

We even managed another trip to the Chocolate Fish Cafe (ahh the hardship!). It was a lovely day this time so were were able to sit outside and drink very, very tasty chocolate fish milkshakes. Hmm - could have another one just now!

Other than that we went up the cable cars (I would call it more of a funicular railway, but then what do I know about these things?) and Alec went to the planetarium whilst I went to the Sam Taylor-Wood exhibition. Very good exhibition. You've probably heard of her work - she's the one who did the photos of male actors crying and the video of David Beckham asleep.

We also spent hours back at Te Papa, which has to be the best museum I have ever been to. Lots of buttons to press!

So, right now I am a little knackered, and I have to get up at 4.45 to go and catch the early ferry. Nice...

South Island here we come!

No comments: