Monday, June 11, 2007

Sad, sad news

So, I was going to sit down and write a blog about the bad weather here in the city. We've just had a bit of wind and rain, but there's really bad flooding north of Sydney. People washed away and container ships run aground.

But when I sat down at the computer I got some really bad news from Jura, again. I can't quite believe Duncan Buie died. So soon after Paddy. I'm still in shock, still waiting for someone to tell me it's some kind of awful, sick joke. I think it will only hit me when I finally get back to Jura and see the empty bar stools.

It's been hard being away from home these last few weeks. I was looking at the photos of the fell race and Eilidh's wedding in Bella's Bebo page today. Looking at the photos of Pete Smoke on Neil's Bebo page. Looking at the photo put up after Paddy died of him and Duncan in the pub.

I know some people stuggle to understand my strong connection with Jura. I can see how it might seem weird to some. But these are people I have known all my life - I remember Duncan's dad giving me a lift to school for god's sake. People who have seen me at my best and my worst and still, for the most part, think I'm ok.

There is no point pretending you're something you're not on Jura because soon enough you'll be found out as a fraud. So the only option is to be yourself.

I love travelling. I love being in this wee flat in Sydney for now and doing normal things like hiring DVDs and going to the gym. But right now I feel so far away from home. Right now it's so difficult to take these things in. There is nothing any of us can do, but I just wish I was there with everyone else, in the pub, raising a solemn glass to Duncan and to Paddy. Just to show that they meant something to me too.

1 comment:

Alexander the State said...

It is very sad... I was just remembering the January I stayed behind after Hogmanay, must have been 6 years ago. I worked the bar each afternoon shift and every day it was just me sitting there with Duncan, Paddy and Ian Keith... and now all three are gone. I'm not going to recognise the bar without them.