Sand, sea, palm trees and powercuts.
bed count: 22
Arrived in Koh Pha Ngan on Sunday and headed straight to Hat Yao, a beach in the NW of the island. It's about as far as you can get from Hat Rin, which is where the famous full moon parties are held. (We flew over Hat Rin on our way into Samui on the evening of the last full moon party and the beach was pulsing with lots of neon - not the kind of thing we're looking for).

Hat Yao means 'long beach' but this is a little misleading, especially when you've been staying on beaches which are about 5 km long. The bay is actually about 1km long (shorter than Corran Sands) but very beautiful. Just enough people to give it some atmosphere but not mobbed or full of beach bars blaring loud music.
We're staying at Ibiza Bungalows which has a pretty garden and nice bungalows for less than a tenner a night. The beach is lovely and there are rocks and coral protecting the bay from the elements and, whilst it doesn't get deep enough for proper swimming, there is lots of opportunity for easy snorkling.
We've done so much snorkling that Alec and I have bought our own snorkles. They're not expensive here and by the time you have hired them a few times you might as well have bought them. Plus - there is the added bonus that you know exactly where your snorkle has been before you put it in your gob. Not something I liked to think about with hired snorkles...
We went on a boat trip yesterday and had the best snorkling so far. Loads of fish including a few masked butterfly fish, my favourite little blue ones, and some orange I have never seen before with really long snouts.
But mainly just lazing about the beach, snorkling (and us both getting a bit of a red back and bum in the process from lying face down in the water for hours), and taking trips up to Thong Sala to look at the shops. It has rained most evenings for about an hour, but that has usually been at an appropriate time to sit on the porch with a pre-dinner drink and play 'travel scrabble' (great wedding present from the Whithams - thanks) so that's been just dandy.
Also had a few power cuts for an hour or so when it rains, but it just means scrabble by candlelight (v romantic) and the kitchen here is still able to turn out a very tasty fried chicken with chilli and onion even when there are no lights.
It's all a bit like home really - the sand and the sea, the palm trees and the power cuts.
Talking of home - it's Fell Race weekend so I guess there will be many folk making their way to Jura today. I heard that there are only 2 locals entered as it's a big crowd this year, but don't know who as Neil and Michael never answered my text messages on the subject... So - good luck to 'team Jura' whoever you may be.
Hope that you all have a good weekend. I will miss being there this year, but we'll maybe be back for 2007. If I was within easy reach of a Calmac ferry I'd be there like a shot.
Actually - I seem to remember being in the pub on fell race Sunday last year and agreeing to run the 2006 race with Ridley. Whoops - you start without me Ridley and I'll catch you up...
No comments:
Post a Comment