Being 30
So, I wasn't allowed to know what I was doing for my birthday, which was an absolute killer from someone as curious as me. But I was quite good and didn't badger or try to bribe Alec too much.
After spending a night in a lovely log cabin (complete with it's own wood-burning stove - much appreciated) we headed up to Queenstown. I will explain more about my birthday in 'Jumping off a bridge' and 'The more sedate side of my birthday' but in the mean time:
Thank you so much to everyone for all the cards and presents and phone calls and text messages. Even to those of you who called me to congratulate me on the bungy jump without realising it was my birthday until part way into the conversation (including my own brother...). ;)
Thanks also to everyone in the Jura pub who maintained the tradition of drunkenly singing 'Happy Birthday' down the phone to me (you are such drunken bums you probably don't remember doing the same last year). And congratulations to Michael for winning the 2L bottle of vodka. I am sure that helped the vocal chords.
I had a great day which included cards and presents, pink balloons, banners, a cake, a bucks fizz breakfast, a bungee jump, a cinema with big sofas and freshly baked cookies in the interval, blowing bubbles on the highest sealed road in NZ, a ride in the gondola and a huge buffet dinner overlooking Queenstown.
Thanks to everyone, but in particular my lovely husband, for making it such a great birthday.
I have to admit that I made myself a '30 Today!' badge. Partly because I am quite pleased to be 30, and partly because I am so far away from home. I had lots of people wishing me happy birthday in person even though I know hardly anyone here, which was lovely.
So anyway - being 30 is cool. I have decided not to give a toss what anyone thinks of me anymore or to feel threatened by the noisy 20-somethings in the hostels. (I know most of you can't imagine such a bolshy person ever felt like this, but I did - believe me!). Being 30 rocks.
No comments:
Post a Comment