Thursday, March 08, 2007

Slobbing out

We were only supposed to be staying in Dunedin for 2 nights, but we have decided to stay tomorrow night too as today has definitely been a day for sitting round in our pajamas and not doing much.

I know this is hardly what you imagine when you think of us on our travels. But when you've been on road trip for a while, and you find a really nice room in a quiet hostel with free wireless internet access, you know it's time to spend a day doing nothing much.

Having said that, Alec has managed to go for a wee walk and bake a loaf of bread and I have been doing various trip admin like uploading and organising photos.

Dunedin appears to be quite nice though. Quite different from a lot of the other places we have been to in NZ. Dunedin is the old name for Edinburgh (dun = burgh) and the streets are all named after the streets of Edinburgh. Plus it was awwfy dreich when we got here yesterday - just like the east coast back home!

Regardless of the rain, there were two tourist attractions that were the top of our list, so yesterday we headed to Cadbury World and Speights Brewery. Life's tough...

I was a little disappointed with Cadbury World to be honest. The woman showing us round wasn't the best tour guide and it was all a bit stiff and rushed. We didn't get to see any of the machines working either as there was maintenance on, so it was just a walk round some machinery really.

You don't even get that much chocolate. :( We did, however, get to see a tonne of chocolate dropped down a huge chute in front of us. But that was about as exciting as it got.

The Speights Brewery tour was a different story entirely. Very professional, with a great tour guide and loads of free beer ;) Hic! (Now you know why I have spent the day in my PJs). The machinery was all highly polished metal and there were lots of interesting picture opportunities too.

But back to the beer... The first hour is a tour through the building and then you get to spend 30 mins in the pub, tasting various Speights brews. Other than the standard Gold Medal beer you get pretty much everywhere in NZ, I think I liked Distinction - a dark beer with bitter chocolate tastes. Very nice. Alec keeps on joking that I will be drinking 80 Shilling when I get back home.

After the tour I treated Alec to dinner in the Alehouse, and the additional beer and good food made the uphill walk back to the hostel slightly more bearable.

Dunedin is full of steep streets you see. We're off to see the steepest street in the world tomorrow. Bet you thought that was in San Francisco.

No comments: