Geting carded
So, I may be 8 days away from my 30th birthday but, apparently, I don't look over 25.
Not only did I get carded when trying to buy a bottle of wine this evening (you have to have proof of age here if you look under 25) but they refused to accept my UK drivers license as id and so wouldn't let me have the alcohol. Laughed so much that I didn't need a glass of wine after that!
Anyway - we visited the world's steepest street this morning and can confirm, after walking up it, that it is indeed very steep. The street is called Baldwin Street, and I wouldn't like to live there to be honest. Not only is it a bit steep to carry your shopping up, you also get loads of Japanese tourist standing all over your front garden (they weren't shy to open the closed gates) and motorcyclists speeding downhill shouting, 'Look, no hands!' to their mates.
After all that excitement we visited NZ's only castle, which is just down the road on the Otago Peninsular. It certainly is a very pretty building with beautiful gardens. I would love gardens like that some day. I guess I had better start working on my plan to become a billionaire.
We also headed up to see if we could see and albatross (albatrosses? albatri??) up the coast, but they were being elusive today. We could have paid to go on a tour and see them, but we're hoping to see them when we head on to the Caitlins tomorrow. Apparently there are sealions on the beach down there and all sorts, so we're looking forward to it.
Not only did I get carded when trying to buy a bottle of wine this evening (you have to have proof of age here if you look under 25) but they refused to accept my UK drivers license as id and so wouldn't let me have the alcohol. Laughed so much that I didn't need a glass of wine after that!
Anyway - we visited the world's steepest street this morning and can confirm, after walking up it, that it is indeed very steep. The street is called Baldwin Street, and I wouldn't like to live there to be honest. Not only is it a bit steep to carry your shopping up, you also get loads of Japanese tourist standing all over your front garden (they weren't shy to open the closed gates) and motorcyclists speeding downhill shouting, 'Look, no hands!' to their mates.After all that excitement we visited NZ's only castle, which is just down the road on the Otago Peninsular. It certainly is a very pretty building with beautiful gardens. I would love gardens like that some day. I guess I had better start working on my plan to become a billionaire.
We also headed up to see if we could see and albatross (albatrosses? albatri??) up the coast, but they were being elusive today. We could have paid to go on a tour and see them, but we're hoping to see them when we head on to the Caitlins tomorrow. Apparently there are sealions on the beach down there and all sorts, so we're looking forward to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment